Blogs that are easier on the eyes will most likely be better to read
Blogging can be a great way to pass time, learn new things, entertain yourself or all of the above. Chances are… blogs that are easier on the eyes will most likely be better to read than ones full of ads or use annoying colours. So in order to achieve that “Well-Developed” or “Custom” look, many people will get a free template that appeals to their interest. Although, the only thing that now separates you and 1000’s of other template users is your content.
Which is why you should always try to customize your template to the maximum extent possible. Not only does it impress readers about your technical websites skills, it also shows that you care about how your blog looks.
For instance, today I added a “Whats Your Say” in the comment box below which looks quite appealing to me.
Here is a list of things that you can do to seperate your template from others:
- Add a Feedburner Feedcount Widget.
- Add background images to comment boxes, subscription options.
- Add a list or blog roll.
- CHANGE your footer to something that reflects you…Remove: “Copyright 2008. Powered By WordPress” (A rotating quote for instance?)
- Customized backgrounds or images for posts and titles.
- Changing the colour scheme of the template.
- Try to find an uncommon theme to use so there is not as much competition
So hopefully after reading this you are able to stand out and be different from the rest of the people using a selected free template. What strategies do you use to make your blog template stand out from the rest?