I’m writing this post from “Windows Live Writer Beta” and think it is a great new application for writing blog posts. I simply launch the application, and the program does the rest of the work. There is no need to sign in, or go to the “Write” section of the WordPress Administration area. Saves me time that I can spend writing blog posts or finding the next great thing to talk about.
Screenshot & Features:
As you can see above, it has the ability to:
- Insert pictures directly from your desktop and automatically upload them when you publish the post.. Removes the hassle of uploading pictures beforehand.
- Easy to use WYSIWYG editor with standard formatting and large buttons… Thats one of the things that WordPress could improve upon.. The current toolbar is really small and hard to see. Includes Blockquote, Ordered list, Unordered List, et.
- Simple Copy and Paste of a Youtube URL to embed it.
- Includes Spellcheck and bolds the term when it is spelt wrong, making your ‘proofreading’ stage a much easier task.
- One more thing that makes this Writer excel from the other options of publishing a blog post is the fact that it includes a “More” button which splits the blog post into a summary/full post. Useful for people that use that technique, although I don’t use it.
Free to use! Just like Windows Hotmail, Spaces, and all of their other tools. The catch? There isn’t one.. yet. It would be a shame if they put a price tag on this product.
Where to find this program:
If you don’t use Windows:
Hmmm.. Wouldn’t really know of any alternatives. A quick Google search pointed me to HongKiat’s post about alternatives – These three blogging platforms caught my eye. (They work on all 3 Operating Systems):
Do you have a favourite blogging platform? If so, does it increase your productivity or time to write a post?