There are so many webhosts out on the internet, that sometimes it can be daunting when choosing one. The real big problem is the amount of features that APPEAR to give you a good deal for X amount of money, then turning around and finding out that you could get all that + more at another host for cheaper. How Do You Choose?
In order to make it easier for anybody that is going to create a blog or website, I’ve compiled a list of features that you should look for in a web host: (For People That Don’t Know What MB and GB are: 1MB = 0.001GB and 1GB = 1000MB).
The List Of Web Hosting Features To Look For:
- Web Hosting Space – The Amount of Storage You Have For The Content, Images, etc on Your Account – The More The Better. (Ideal would be 1GB+. My blog and other websites use a total of 57.86MB
- Bandwidth – The Amount Of Traffic Your Webhost Allows Through Your Account, – The More The Better. (Ideal would be 10GB + per month. My blog used 2.415 GB in July and my host provides me with 512GB)
- Are PHP / MYSQL Supported? – Required For WordPress and Dynamic Websites
- Do you get Free Domains with your purchase? – Many hosts offer free domains when you purchase hosting with them.
- Do you get a large (or unlimited) amount Email Accounts? – My Host offers 10,000 email accounts and I’ve used about 3.
- Does your host support FTP Transfer? – Required For WordPress Plugins and editing static HTML websites without a CMS like Drupal or Joomla.
- Can you add Addon Domains incase you buy another domain name? – Useful for plans that have too much storage/bandwidth as you can add it to your account and share it with your plan.
- Are there any hidden costs? – Some hosts charge money to transfer domains if they were bought from another web registrar.
- Lastly, How good is there customer support? – I’ve had my blog compromised, and also been banned from my own website, I couldn’t of been happier with the responsiveness of mine. Believe me, YOU WILL use your webhosts technical support team more than once.
What are some other features that you like about your webhost (If you use one)?