I type in http://ecoinsomniac.com into my web browser and BOOM! I’m sitting in front of a logo that says Ecoinsomniac with a tagline, “An Inspired Change” with options to my right to subscribe to the feed.
Then I see their latest headline and a huge 350px*300px advertisement about organic beer and other eco-friendly alternatives. Tempted by the beer I click it. A New Site Appears… Review Over.
Nah, I’m just kidding with ya. Assuming that the ad didn’t distract me from this blog, I later scroll down to see more headlines and a standard blogging sidebar. This blog design really doesn’t, “WOW” me as it is just a 3 coloumn Cutline Theme, but then again, it doesn’t blast you full of ads and play annoying music.
What Is Done Well:
- An “Environmentally” Friendly Blog – Hosted on 100% Solar Power
- Content is well written and keeps reader interested
- Logo is really simple & easy to remember
What Could Be Improved:
- 12 Different Social Network Icons should be reduced to one or two.. See why here.
- The HUGE advertisement really takes up space that could be filled with the “Recent Posts” and “Latest Comments” functions of a sidebar – Is the cash really worth it?
- The BlogCatalog Widget – Does the reader really care about who saw your site 6 days ago?
Overall, I can’t say that this blog doesn’t have a ton of environmentally friendly tips for everyone but I can say that there are a few changes that this blog could make to really maximize it’s potential. Their content is good and if you write it.. they will come.